Lizardo94

Lizardo94

Holiday Kisses: A Holiday Romance Collection
Jaci Burton, HelenKay Dimon, Shannon Stacey, Angela James
Until Fountain Bridge: (InterMix)
Samantha Young
Levi's Ultimatum
Eliza Gayle
Death's Lover
Marie Hall
Darkness Rises - Dianne Duvall

Review and author interview posted on Kindles & Wine

When you’re reading a book or a series, do you ever feel like, I don’t know, you’ve come home? You’re reading it and everything just clicks and you love it. And then later, when you read it again or you read the next book in the series, you just think, “Yeah, this is the stuff.” That’s how I feel about theImmortal Guardians series by Dianne Duvall. So today, I would like to share with you not just the newest installment in that series, Darkness Rises, but also a fun Q&A with the author!

In the Immortal Guardians world, humans are NOT aware of the existence of vampires, so it’s impressive the heroine in this book, Krysta, is a vampire hunter. The fact that she actively engages them and occasionally wins? Amazing. Of course, Krysta is not a “normal” human so she has a bit of an edge in her fight against the vampires—Krysta can see auras. I’ve said before that I love tough heroines. I love when they’re literally tough, like they can hold their own in a fight and can take care of themselves. But that’s not all. Krysta’s physical toughness is tempered with some real vulnerability. She’s had tragedy in her past and it has changed her life. The combination of strength and vulnerability in Krysta made her character feel very real to me. Add to that her snarky sense of humor and you’ve got the exact formula for a great heroine!

Étienne is an Immortal Guardian, albeit a young one (he’s “only” a couple hundred years old). I liked Étienne because he’s kind of like two sides of the same coin: he’s old fashioned because he’s not really into the skimpy way women dress these days, but on the other hand, he finds it totally hot that Krysta can kick ass! I found some of Étienne’s reactions to Krysta a little predictable, but his mix of old-world sensibilities and more modern ones were sexy. I think that Étienne is going to appeal to a lot of readers for that very reason but also because he’s a true gentleman. Even though he knows that Krysta can handle herself, he always makes sure that she’s safe and that he always has her back.

Étienne and Krysta are great together. In stories like this, where the hero is some kind of warrior, it can be difficult for the heroine to have any kind of, well, heroics. But that’s what makes this book interesting and a lot of fun – Krysta gets her chance to be heroic too!

I really enjoyed Darkness Rises and think anyone who reads paranormal romance would as well. It isn’t your typical paranormal romance, though. Here, vampires are the bad guys! Immortal Guardians are (of course) the good guys but they have some similarities with the vampires, including a need for blood. But I won’t tell you more than that about them! You’ll have to pick up this book if you want to find out more!

Although Darkness Rises is Book 4 in the Immortal Guardians series, it can be read at any time, even without having read anything else in the series.

Bottom Line

Like the other Immortal Guardian books, Darkness Rises has great characters. A feisty, strong heroine and a sensitive, powerful hero combine to make this book fun and sexy. Interesting secondary characters from previous novels may inspire new readers to check out the rest of the series and will have all readers anticipating the next book.

Rating: A-

Review copy courtesy of the publisher in exchange for an honest review