Lizardo94

Lizardo94

Holiday Kisses: A Holiday Romance Collection
Jaci Burton, HelenKay Dimon, Shannon Stacey, Angela James
Until Fountain Bridge: (InterMix)
Samantha Young
Levi's Ultimatum
Eliza Gayle
Death's Lover
Marie Hall
Monster in My Closet - R.L. Naquin

Reviewed for Evie at www.Evie-Knight.com

Review copy courtesy of the publisher via RT Con 2013

First off, let me say that urban fantasy is absolutely not my thing. If the book I'm reading doesn't scare the shit out of me or have some kind of raunchy sex scene, it probably won't hold my interest for too long. So, hopefully, that makes it clear that this book was not "up my alley". But I also think you must see the rating I gave it... please, lemme 'splain.

I had no idea what this book was and I had never heard of this author when I started reading this. The first scene is our heroine reacting to a possible intruder in her home, which turns out to be the monster she glimpsed in her closet when she was a child. You can imagine my face as I'm reading that!

But I'm nothing if not a tenacious little wench so I kept going. The heroine, Zoey, was pretty great. She's an empath and she didn't know it... no, that's not the start of a joke OR some weird rhyme. She thought that everyone was always bombarded by everyone else's emotions. Imagine her shock when she finds out that we all blunder around guessing at what everyone else is feeling! Anyway, I couldn't help but like her. She kind of just wants to help everyone in any way she can, which is kind of awesome. Her wardrobe choices... oh my goodness! I swear, she sounds like me! I mean, I don't roll out with a giant yellow sunflower belt on but I'm not too far off! LOL! So I was totally picking up what Zoey was putting down. The only thing that I really, REALLY didn't like about her was how she dealt with her ex-husband, Brad. Now, I know it would go against everything that Zoey is to tell him to go pound sand but man, he's such a barnacle!! Ugh, I hated him!! And she just kept trying to help him in the way that would impact her least negatively. Does that make sense? She wants to help him (since she wants to help everybody) but she doesn't want him to pull her down and she doesn't want to give him money, etc. I just wish she would have told him to get out of her life right at the beginning of the book!

The secondary characters are pretty great too. I got to meet a reaper (as in the Grim Reaper!), a family of brownies, a little pygmy dragon, her closet monster and a variety of others. It was totally cute and I was a bit enchanted, if I can be a little honest here... But people are dying and Zoey is kind of the only one who can stop it. Now, I don't want to go into any details because I'm terrible at giving away spoilers. But there's an Incubus in town and he's a bad, bad guy. But I kinda sorta dug him a little bit. Does that make me sick? It's okay if it does... I'm down with that.

I liked all the characters and Zoey was especially great. But, again, I need more. I wanted something scary or something sexy and there wasn't enough of either in this book. But you see that I gave this high marks. That's because it was a good book! Maybe even a great book. But it really just wasn't for me. I'm pretty sure that I'll finish it at some point but right now, this isn't what I was looking for. I would still recommend this book to anyone who wants to check out urban fantasy that has plenty of humor and a few "Awwww"'s.