Lizardo94

Lizardo94

Holiday Kisses: A Holiday Romance Collection
Jaci Burton, HelenKay Dimon, Shannon Stacey, Angela James
Until Fountain Bridge: (InterMix)
Samantha Young
Levi's Ultimatum
Eliza Gayle
Death's Lover
Marie Hall
Seductive Shadows - Marni Mann

Review copy courtesy of the publisher via NetGalley

Reviewed for Evie at In Love With Romance!

I think that this book absolutely defies convention. I don't know what to call this one. I mean, its part erotic romance, part straight erotica and part women's fiction! Having said that, I think that just about anyone (over the age of 18) would enjoy reading this tale... as long as they enjoy lots of sex with their drama!

When we meet Charlie, wow, she has a crappy, crappy life. Her mom is an dying alcoholic whore and she has no one else in her life that she can truly connect with. Not that she would ever be able to connect with her mother so she pretty much has no one. She's still feeling a lot of guilt over an accident she was in with her childhood best friend. On top of that, I think she's some kind of nymphomaniac or a sex addict. That's how she copes with her problems. She has a casual sex partner but no one who she would call a friend. The only bright spot in her life is her art. She's attending classes for art but its slow going since she can only afford one or two classes at a time. Her professor is a great mentor for her and he encourages her art, which is quite dark, but I think its cathartic for Charlie. A way for her to get her emotions and feelings out of her. Now, I don't know art but it sounded like Charlie had a lot of talent.

During one of her classes, her professor pairs her with a man named Cameron Hardy. Cameron is a very successful Boston artist and begins to work with Charlie on her art. Charlie is inspired by Cameron as he becomes a sort of mentor to her. But he also becomes her muse. Can a man be a muse? I think so. Cameron becomes Charlie's one good, honest relationship and although she's attracted to him, he keeps their relationship purely platonic. Its awesome to see how this changes and helps Charlie. You can see how she ends up being able to relax, really relax, around Cameron. And its great because you're rooting for Charlie to get her shit together.

But its not all art and friendship for Charlie. She finds herself in something of a situation. One night, while working at the hotel, Charlie is visited by a stranger who offers her an opportunity for an interview. I really want to tell you what the interview was for but I don't know if that would be giving too much away. So I'll tell you that she gets the job and it changes her life. But like a lot of changes, it can be good and it can be bad. It introduces her to a person who is important to her but she also stumbles upon something she would have been netter off not knowing.

So in Seductive Shadows you have friendships, intrigue, mystery, drama lots of sex. Not a lot of laughs though. Even though I'm not a big fan of women's fiction, I found that I really enjoyed watching Charlie go from someone who has no idea of her worth to someone who finally values herself. It's a long, hard road for her but you're always rooting for her, hoping she'll make the right choices.

I would recommend this book to fans of women's fiction who are looking for something much sexier. It has a lot of heart and Charlie goes through an amazing transformation. You won't believe what she has to go through to get there though. You may not be laughing out loud but won't need tissues. And so, I have to grudgingly admit that I liked this book... and I think you will too.