Lizardo94

Lizardo94

Holiday Kisses: A Holiday Romance Collection
Jaci Burton, HelenKay Dimon, Shannon Stacey, Angela James
Until Fountain Bridge: (InterMix)
Samantha Young
Levi's Ultimatum
Eliza Gayle
Death's Lover
Marie Hall
Sleeping with the Entity - Cat Devon

www.HarlequinJunkie.com

Review copy courtesy of the publisher via NetGalley

DID NOT FINISH.

I don't know... I really hated this book a lot. I tried very, very hard to get past the first few chapters but I just couldn't do it.

The beginning was pretty clever, with the heroine, Daniella, making an offhanded comment about vampires while she's unknowingly in the presence of a vampire. But immediately, I was confused. I didn't know if she was joking around or if this is the kind of world where people know about vampires (like in the Sookie Stackhouse novels). From there, it just gets worse and worse and worse.

Daniella wants to open up a cupcake shop in this certain part of town and she's getting pushback from the local community leader, Nick. Nick happens to be a vampire and he doesn't want humans coming around so he doesn't want Daniella to open up her shop. So far, so good, right? But it isn't.

This is where the cheesy segues begin. Nick is having an internal monologue and thinks something about how Daniella is playing with fire and the problem with that is that vampires can be burned by fire. My eyes almost fell out of my head from the force of my eye rolling.

If the cheesy segues weren't enough to scare me off, we then get the info dump. I thought for SURE that this was book 2 in a series. We're given so much world building information in this one chapter. It was obvious and awful. It was so poorly disguised that I was thinking, "Holy heck, I could write this in a less obvious way and half the time, I have a hard time writing my reviews!"

I think the final "nail in the coffin" for me was when Nick said to his voice activated GPS, "To the Vamp Cave." I don't know what kind of tone the author was going for, but whatever it was, I didn't get it. I didn't think it was very funny, I never really connected with Daniella and I didn't think Nick sounded attractive or interesting. I'm ashamed to admit this but this was one I just simply could not finish.